Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for lakefront groundcover

Posted by pauleyc VA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 25, 06 at 16:51

I have about 200ft of waterfront that has a lot of trees and would like to spend less time mowing between the trees and more time enjoying the lake. The property is a northern exposure and the trees provide mostly shade all day. Its also a very mild hill down to the water.

Question: what would be a good groundcover to take over the area and not climb trees? My initial thought is PACHYSANDRA. I would like a dark leaf, low growing, fast spread.

Also, the soil under the trees has a fair amount of twigs/leaf material. Do I need to clean that up before planting? Should I bring in topsoil? How do I keep the unwanted plants down while the groundcover is taking over? I'm assuming the groundcover will 'snuff out' all the other plants eventually?

Also, is it too late to plant this year?

Thanks in advance,
Chad
Lake Anna, VA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for lakefront groundcover

Are your trees evergreens or deciduous? (Will there be a big dump of old leaves or just a steady trickle of bits falling?)

Vancouveria, Veratrum, and Viola - all North American natives - might give the cover you're looking for. I've not noticed Vancouveria tree-climbing - and it smothers out most things except Tradescantia fluminensis (but there's not much that smothers that - except ivy...).

o
RE: Looking for lakefront groundcover

All the trees are deciduous, so there will be a considerable amount of leaves

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here