Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my groundcover is rodent heaven

Posted by sdmelina 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 11, 06 at 17:44

Currently have healthy myoporum that has reached 6"-12" in height on both a flat and sloped area of my garden. The rabbits, mice, rats and groundhogs! have found it to be the perfect shelter to use as tunnels and general rodent transit. Can't stand it! Planning to pull it all up.

Seeking low/flat (no way for critters to hide under)groundcover to replace it. Zone 10, clay soil, irrigated, good for erosion control.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my groundcover is rodent heaven

Flat Sedums are a possible. Pebbles/rocks and bromelliads. Echeverias. Lampranthus. Carpobrotus. Arctotis. Gazania. Osteospermum. Trachelospermum kept clipped. Sanseviera.

o

I was once sitting on a park bench and realized that rats were running around in the 1' tall Vinca-type groundcover right next to me. Ugh. Anyway, I use lava rock in planting holes to keep voles from eating my daylily roots, so maybe adding a sprinkling of lava rock to the soil when you remove the myoporum would help keep the tunneling rodents at bay.

o

Thank you for the suggestions! We're going with grass(to fit in with the neighbors) on the street-side flat part. Still deciding about the slope. Want something cheap and easy since we're planning on a retaining wall eventually.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here