Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need heat tolerant, water loving groundcover

Posted by sasser 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 17, 08 at 17:50

Hi everyone! I guess I posted this in the wrong forum first LOL They directed me over here.

I need a ground cover that is heat tolerant (So. Cal) BUT it also needs to tolerate a fair amount of water - the people who planted that area of the garden were kind of clueless, putting Ice Plants next to a big bushy rose bush.

I don't care about flowering, I just need something to send roots into the berm to keep it in place. Right now I have Ice Plants, the Disneyland variety, and they are dying from *too much* water, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to reset my sprinkler system to water that area less - the front yard and that side of the house are connected on the same valve so unless I hire someone to come in and monkey around with the valves... which I won't do because we only rent

any suggestions? When we lived in Washington State, I LOVED New Zealand Brass Buttons, would they work here ? A Succulent would probably be a good idea, but I am clueless.

Thanks so much,
Sasser

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need heat tolerant, water loving groundcover

Did you consider Mazus repens or the dreaded Lysmachia nummelaria? The second plant is a plant that you will not be able to get rid of, but it is water tolerant and extremely low growing, with seasonal yellow flowers. A little monster. Wet soil does not bother Mazus, in the Summer, but I am unsure about Winter.

o

Heucherella and/or tiarella are very nice low-lying plants that love moisture. The floral umbels are the only part that stands above groundcover level, and they are there in early spring only. Another excellent choice is epimedium. There are many choice varieties of this plant, and they don't do well in dry conditions. One more suggestion: what about miniature hosta? Hope this helps.

o

The one caution I would give re: Epimediums is that I must string trim them to the ground in Feb. as they look bad, by then, and I want the flowers to really show. Otherwise, the several sorts I have are fabulous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here