Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maintenance free cover for road ditches

Posted by CTSNicholas Nebraska, 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 19:03

Hello,
I am seeking a maintenance free or such ground cover for two road ditches that line the front of my property against the road. I would like them to be drought tolerant, be able to handle walking on, keep weeds out, and of course accept a surplus amount of water if we ever get rain again...

I'm not sure what the best method will be considering I don't want it to take over the front yard. I just don't want to have to mow the ditches with a weed-eater...and the county frowns upon leveling the ditch so it could be easily mowed. I have heard about a series called "steppables" but am not aware if they work for my zone (5). I would also like the ground cover to not be too tall where it looks trashy.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maintenance free cover for road ditches

Sorry to report that there is no such thing as a maintenance-free plant.......unless you are talking plastic :-) And the combination of qualities you are asking for is a very tough one to acheive. It is not common to find a drought tolerant plant that will also tolerate significant water as well.

"Steppables" is just a marketing name for a particular company that sells groundcovers. A great many different types of groundcovers can take foot traffic in varying degrees, usually the flatter, mat-forming species better than larger or woody based choices. Weed suppression is a big variable as well but few groundcovers will completely eliminate weeds. And once weeds take hold, they need to be addressed before they take over.

Check out the link for Nebraska groundcovers. The one choice that seems to meet most of your requirements are the GC junipers - tough, low growing, evergreen and drought tolerant. Won't take a LOT of foot traffice but some. And not happy with very wet conditions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nebraska groundcovers

o

Look up the specifics. I see Crownvetch used by the crews that fill in areas near store parking lots. After the lots are built they seed the areas with Crownvetch to hold the soil and it doesn't need mowed. This is for well drained areas only.

o

Tiger lilies, although they are not really walkable.

o

Ferns, though they aren't very walkable.

River Oats, though they are tall and could invade your yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here