Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Between Stepping Stones

Posted by HeywoodJablomie 7a Long Island (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 20:09

I have flagstone pavers for a pathway. There is about a half inch to an inch between pavers and it is planted with grass. The problem I have is that the grass slowly creates a mat that overgrows the pavers and if I don't do any maintenance the grass will total cover the pavers. So, I get down on my hands and knees and cut out the grass and replant.

Is there anything I can plant (Mazus Reptans?) that won't form these mats and require less maintenance?

Also some of these pavers are in sun and some are in shade. More are in shade though.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Between Stepping Stones

Mazus is definitely a poor choice as it grows quickly over pavers. You might look at something like Lysimachia japonica 'Minutissima' which is far less aggressive.

Another go-to for semi-shade is Blue Star Creeper (Isotoma fluvatilis. It is evergreen and a moderate grower with tiny star-shaped flowers. You also may wish to consider Leptinella squalida 'Platt's Black' (Brass Buttons) for an interesting foliage effect. It will probably be deciduous in your zone though (at least it was last winter in 7A, though I hear it is at least semi-evergreen in Zone 8 and reliably evergreen in Zone 9). Finally, you could always use slow-growing, evergreen, and shade loving Mondo grass or dwarf Mondo grass. Check out the Stepables website (www.stepables.com) and use the "Find The Right Plant for the Right Spot" search function to see some more options. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here