Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rain2fall

Vinca Help please

rain2fall
14 years ago

After having read the warnings about the way Vinca minor spreads, I have decided it is the ideal groundcover for a 200-foot curbside strip. I've found a source for rooted cuttings -- I imagine they're small. Can I succeed NOW (September) with the following method:

1. Roundup to kill the grass.

2. Leave the dead mat of grass & roots.

3. Plant the Vinca starts through the grass -- loosen the soil a little with a dandelion digger, and pot the rooted cutting in.

4. Water.

Comments (3)

• rachel77
    14 years ago

I've planted vinca over dead grass before, and it turned into a big 'ol mess. I actually spent today digging out all the grass that somehow lived/grew, etc., in between my vinca. I'm so sore I can barely move. 200' is a loooot of digging...Hope somebody else has a better solution. You could always try, though, and cross your fingers!

• rain2fall
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So the Vinca grew -- it was the dead grass that wouldn't die that was a problem. How long did you wait before you went back to knock out the grass?

I'd like to plan now, and deal with any remaining live grass next spring. I don't have time to rip out the grass this fall, and most of it is dead. I'm concerned about whether Rooted Cuttings of Vinca would survive through the dead grass in Zone 6, if I do it now.

• rachel77
    14 years ago

I planted in April (roundabouts) and pulled it up just last weekend. I don't see the harm in waiting and seeing...you never know, yours might work out just right.