Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need fast and inexpensive suggestions

Posted by jcasanova7 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 22:06

Hi! We moved into our fixer-upper 3 years ago and have done a lot on the inside and it's time we do something for some curb appeal on the house. We don't have a lot of money to put into the yard yet but we can't stand looking at the house and I am sure the neighbors can't stand it either.

We Have a steep slope in the front yard and my husband clears all the growth every summer- I think it's just tall crazy weeds. What can we do???

I wanted to include picture, but I can't because the upload button is grayed out...

Thanks for any help.
:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need fast and inexpensive suggestions

Is it full sun? If so, you have many options. I happen to like moss phlox for full sun slopes. Also, you might like Geranium sanguineum.

o

Actually, now that I think about it -- for a slope, you would probably not want something herbaceous (non-evergreen) like Geranium. Instead, something like Bearberry or a creeping juniper might be better.

o

Thank you so much for answering. I feel like a non-evergreen would be prettier... is there a reason I would want an evergreen ground cover? Also, do they spread fast? Here is the picture of our yard. And again, thank you so much for your advice - I really appreciate it.

o

An evergreen would look nicer in winter (bare ground/dead stems and leaves vs. something green). It would also probably be a little better at holding the slope together and preventing erosion. Liriope or daylilies would also work there. Cotoneasters are nice. Check out the link below for more options.

Moss phlox is nice because it has attractive needle-like leaves that are evergreen and also flowers like crazy in Spring.

Another consideration is how well you can control an aggressive spreader if you decide to use one. If you have boundaries to keep spreading in check (looks like you do somewhat), you can really save money by getting something that is somewhat aggressive and will fill in quickly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Groundcovers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here