Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harnick_gw

propagating red apple

harnick
17 years ago

i WANT TO PLANT 1500 SQ. FT. OF BANK WITH RED APPLE. I already have red apple hanging over a concrete waLL which I frequently trim. If I put those cuttings in a flat with topsoil will they root or do I have to get a piece that has already put out a small root. I LIVE NEAR sAN DIEGO CAN i DO THIS IN OCTOBER OR MUST I WAIT TILL SPRING

Comments (8)

• momamamo
    17 years ago

What is red apple? Is it a groundcover? Maureen

• harnick
    Original Author
    17 years ago

yes, it has little needle shaped leaves fatter than rose moss but smaller than ice plant. It has a small red flower that blooms all spring summer and fall (in San Diego) it sends out strands that caN be 2 feet long and hang down over walls but are easily trimmed.
    HARRY

• momamamo
    17 years ago

Sounds nice. It looks like spring is the best time to take cuttings. However, why not do a small amount of experimenting now with just a few pieces? Make a few cuts, let the cuts dry for a few days, and lay some of them on top of some soil. Place others directly but lightly in the soil. See which roots better. Then plant those and see what happens.

Good luck! Maureen

• harnick
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Maureen , lacking any more specific input I will do that. I will also see how important root tonic is. And if I can buy a reasonable heating pad I may also see what keeping the flat at 70 degrees will do. What I was hoping to learn was whether soil or water would be best to put them in for the first week or so.
    Harry

• momamamo
    17 years ago

I think soil would be your best bet, Harry. Otherwise I think that rotting could be a real issue. Post a pic sometime if you can. Maureen

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    17 years ago

There is a popular cultivar of aptenia named "Red Apple". The description of your plant's foliage and flower fits. Since it is a succulent I agree with Maureen's advice to use soil for the rooting medium.

I have a small plant of this in one area of my garden which a night visitor (? a rabbit) munches on regularly. I know it can be a luxurious ground cover (I've seen it in other's gardens) but it will never get there at this rate in MY garden. There's a fat bunny somewhere in the bushes!

Good luck with your bank planting. - June

Here is a link that might be useful: Aptenia

• harnick
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your input June & Maureen, I am planting cuttings today will give you a report in a month.
    Harry

• harnick
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well I can report success the red apple cuttings I planted 17 Nov. have taken root. I made a smll green house using PVC pipe and christmas lights which raised nigth time temp about 15 degrees.I am now to make 2 more green houses(2 flat size) as I want to grow about 12 flats alltogether by mid march. Pics and more details later.
    Harry

Sponsored