Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thyme from Seed

Posted by murphy_zone7 Upstate SC (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 6, 06 at 7:18

Hello...new to forum. I want to establish a groundcover lawn instead of grass lawn at my new home. I have found an online company that sells a creeping thyme groundcover seed. I wonder if anyone has tried to establish such a groundcover type lawn from seed and what were the results.
Thank you for any information.
Murphy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thyme from Seed

I've never tried to seed it outside, but I have started thyme seed inside before transplanting. It's worked great for me. Germinates in a few days and grows fast.

o

"Mother of Thyme" Thymus serphyllum is low and easy to grow from seed. I start my thyme 1st week of February. Grow in small pots or plug tray. Use a soiless medium and barely cover the seeds with builders sand or fine vermiculite. Water from bottom and do not over water. When you sow put in about 10-15 seeds per plug/pot so you have a nice bushy plant. They will germinate in about 8-10 days in a temperature of 65-70 degrees. It can be grown outside but make sure you sow your seed on a thick layer(2-3")of a soiles medium(Pro-Mix)or any other brand you garden center might have. You need this so your seeds are not competing with the germination of weed seeds. If this is still a problem you can wait till you temperature warms up and sow your seeds in large rectangular plastic storage containers. Punch holes in bottom for drainage. Fill container(3-4")with soiless medium and generously sow seeds. Place in a partially shaded area and mist when needed. When container is full of nice size seedlings remove small clumbs to the area you want to cover.

o

It might be hard to see but this is my thyme garden. There are many differend varieties of thyme. Each mound was 3 small plugs/pots and this garden is only 1 year old. Thyme spreads very fast. The hot pink flower is silene mexicana which is an annual but reseeds for me every year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here