Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GC to replace English Ivy & allow for other plants

Posted by sandyinva 7A (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 21, 06 at 9:57

I spent several backbreaking months of clearing English Ivy from a small woodland area of my yard with several small trees, azaleas, a rhody, hydrangeas, ferns, hostas, a few hellebores.

I need to replace the ivy with something that won't choke out the others, and can be easliy contained from spreading into the lawn. The area is partly sunny to full shade. It also needs to be sturdy, as I have dog that runs through it, chasing anything that moves.

I really do not know much about ground covers so I am open to all suggestions. I have seen wild ginger at one of the local nurseries, but do not know if it would be suitable or not.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GC to replace English Ivy & allow for other plants

Congratulations on your ivy eradication - that's quite an accomplishment and a very good thing to do!!

In zone 7, there are a lot of groundcovers that will fit the bill. I prefer evergreen ones so that they do their job and contribute a presence year round. Many groundcovers are rather aggressive spreaders, but that is their purpose and I've yet to encounter too many that are not rather easily managed, unlike the ivy. My personal preference is to avoid Gallium (sweet woodruff), as it grows through the roots of other plants and is difficult to manage and in my area at least, is plagued by a fungal leaf blight each season. I also avoid Aegopodium (Bishop's weed) as it is both herbaceous - disappears in winter - and is a rampant spreader.

The attached list may help. The asarum or wild ginger is an excellent choice for a more shady area but I'm not sure how well it would stand up to dog traffic. I'd consider ajuga - will transition well from sun to shade, is very durable, evergreen, offers a nice spring flower, is a good weed supression and doesn't easily get out of control.

Here is a link that might be useful: groundcovers

o
RE: GC to replace English Ivy & allow for other plants

Thanks, gardengal, I read your link and looked up some more info and pictures. It looks really pretty and I like the idea that it will not disappear during the winter. Is there anything about specific varities I should know?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here