Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
appletnc

Ground cover for rockery and steps

appletnc
18 years ago

I am a new gardener and new to the forums. Earlier this year I built a dry stack rockery wall with steps up the center between two levels of my yard. I'd like to find a ground cover to grow in the cracks between the steps. The joints are fairly tight in some spots (1/2 inch) and wider (1 inch) in other places. The steps receive medium to heavy foot traffic and in the summer get full sun (this is Seattle, so not a lot of winter sun, but lots of rain and wet). The cracks are currently filled with gravel that drains well. I was considering Blue Star Creeper, but wanted to see if others on the forum had different suggestions. I'd also like to get some advice on prep, will most ground covers do ok in the gravel or do I need to add some compost or dirt?

I am also looking for some plants to put in the cracks on of the wall itself. I have a flat of Woolly Thyme that I'm considering putting in the cracks or at the top of the wall to drape over the front of the wall. I'd love some suggestions from others on plats for the wall.

This isn't a great picture, but this should give you some idea of what I am dealing with.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:859380}}

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting