Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding Compost when you have Groundcover

Posted by mary_max 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 14:12

How do you add compost to the ground when it is covered with a groundcover? Isn't it a good idea to compost the area every year or so? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding Compost when you have Groundcover

Is there a time of year when the groundcover is dormant? If not, I wouldn't bother. Ground covers can generally fend for themselves w/o any coddling.

o

Cool. So now I don't need to worry about doing that job. Thanks for your reply.

o

Most ground covers benefit by a light top dressing of compost.
Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden

o

I would like an answer to this question too, as I have lots of deer-ravaged ivy that needs help coming back. Would making a tea of the compost and watering it work?

o

Maybe if the tea was from manure, but it would only last until the next rain.
I've seen where deer and elk have browsed on Ivy right down to the stems. Sadly, it recovers. Ivy is considered an invasive exotic here in western Washington. I've been fighting it for years.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here