Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dichondra question?

Posted by northga North Georgia (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 18:23

I am pulling dichondra from my bermuda lawn and replanting it in an area the size of a basketball court. I always mulch this area every other year since I moved here 9 years ago, So the area has good amended soil.I am pulling back the top mulch and losing the ground and laying these dichondra sprouts I pulled from my bermuda lawn(See picture) right on top of soil.Then I take this mulch I pulled back and barely covering the top of the dichondra planlets.This mulch has been down since april so Its composed alot already.

My goal is to have this area covered in dichondra so I never have to mulch again..Has anybody tried this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dichondra question?

heres another upclose picture of the dichondra planlets.

o

From what I've seen, dichondra is ephemeral, a lot of the time, it's 'not there.' Can it hold the ground while dormant? IDK. Maybe there are different types?

I've been packing Oxalis crassipes and Liriope around the base of trees for this reason. Don't want to have to mow so closely around, or keep mulching to keep the grass away. Both are thick enough to stop grass if loosely monitored (after making sure there are no more grass roots in the "flower zone" when getting started.). Won't hurt if accidentally mowed, and daggone pretty at times.

o

well after 2 weeks the dichondra seem to be doing fine in its newly planted area.Its been time consuming laying these dichondra roots down , so I hope it pays off.I can seeing it looking really nice if they survive.(fingers crossed )

o

I wish you luck! It's an adorable plant, in my eye, and softer than Bermuda grass. I didn't see Dichondra over the summer, but starting to notice tiny sprouts pulling weeds, relocating bulbs yesterday.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here