Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground over for shade in Texas

Posted by jenspence none (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 21:07

I am looking to plant some ground cover in zone 8a. I like the bigroot geranium and japanese forestgrass. I was also thinking about adding some astilbe, fall aster or some bleeding hearts. Does anyone have experience with these? My area is dappled sun to full shade. Also, do I need to wait until spring to plant these or is now ok. We are expecting our first freeze in a feed days, but will likely warm back up to the 40s and 50s after.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground over for shade in Texas

I have grown bleeding hearts. They're easy. A friend of mine has grown Japanese forest grass successfully in part shade.

It sounds like you're interested in tall groundcovers for shade. Some taller ones include trollius, mondo grass, lady's mantle, foxglove and toad lily.

As for when to plant them, I would avoid planting them before spring in case you get any hard freezes between now and then. If your area never gets hard freezes, then it might be all right to plant them now. Be sure to mulch them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade gardening

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here