Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what plant is this?

Posted by tropicbob So. Calif (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 23, 05 at 22:20

Hello:

I saw a groundcover that has small heart-shaped leaves, and purple-blue tinged flowers with white throats. It was in a small planter at the Italian pavillion in EPCOT. I thought it might have been Italian Bellflower, but it does not appeart to be. I have some digital pics, but don't seem to be able to post them here. But I would be happy to e-mail them to you if you would like to take a stab at IDing this plant. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what plant is this?

Could it have been Mazus reptans? Google it. I am sure there are photos somewhere.

o

I checked some photos of Mazus reptans in the Botanica Garden Encyclopedia. It does not appear to be match. The mystery plant does not have red specs on the white throat, and its flowers are more trumpet shaped and bluer. If you or anyone else would care to send me your e-mail address I could e-mail you pictures of the mystery plant. My address is rsmahoy@msn.com Thanks.

o

Maybe a blue Asarina? That is more of a vine though.

o

Thanks for the guess, Sycamore guy. But I don't think it is a match to asarina barclaiana. The mystery plant leaves have a similar shape, with serrated edges, but are brighter green. And the flowers of the mystery plant do not seem to have the two prominent stamen-like structures. Also, asarina is an annual, and the mystery plant appeared to be more of a tough perennial, forming a light green mat hugging the ground. I appreciate your thoughts, though. Anymore ideas? A picture might help, if you would care to send your e-address. I promise I am not a serial spammer.

o

So we can have "closure" on this one, the horticultural department at Walt Disney World identitied this groundcover plant as torenia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here