Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
killing english ivy

Posted by alyrics 5B NE OH (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 05 at 22:22

I've got a big bed I need to reclaim from English ivy. I pulled and dug all I could, laid down 2-3 layers of corrugated cardboard from boxes and threw some leaves and then about 3" of topsoil on top. Do you think this will work? And how long might it take? I just did it 2 weeks ago - around Halloween and hope to have laid to rest the ivy roots by next spring. But I'm willing to wait longer to avoid having to use a bunch of chemicals. I did cut one slit in the boxes to plant a Caryopteris near the front of the bed so we don't have to look at a blank expanse till the ivy is toast.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: killing english ivy

IME, removing English ivy is a time consuming process. If you have done a good, thorough job initially - specially as far as root removal is concerned - you should be well on your way to having an ivy-free bed in spring. However, even small rooted chunks can develop into new plants, so you will need to be diligent in continuing to remove any signs of sprouts.

If you just removed the top growth without attempting to remove as much of the root system as you could possibly manage, you will continue to have problems.

o
RE: killing english ivy

25 years ago, I used Roundup. It took 3 applications a week or two apart or more to get rid of my ivy. It was thinner each time but that stuff is really hard to kill or remove.

I doubt that cardboard will do anything to get it out of there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here