Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ceadee

What short, adaptable, spreading, hardy, groundcover seeds in?

CeaDee
18 years ago

What short, adaptable, spreading, hardy, groundcover can thrive if SEEDED IN, in sandy alkaline soil? A common "weed" seed that thrives in shade would be fine.

I really need to change my yard into a no mow, low maintenance, ground cover for a grass substitute. I have health problems that make my ability to keep up on house and yard work erratic. I was hoping that some one would be able to advise me on what I can do given the conditions of my lawn. I realize that clover might be good but it attracts bees, peters out in the summer drought, and does not thrive as much - in the shadier areas. Some people have a low violet growing in their lawn. However when I tried to grow it, it did not fill in or spread much. I thought I might need a mix of short white Dutch clover and other plant(s). But what other types of plants will work well? Here are some of the things I am taking into account.

1. The soil is very sandy, and slightly alkaline (average 7.2) with lots of weeds and bare spots. Lowering the ph for the entire yard is not an option.

2.Most of the yard gets LESS than 3 hours of direct sun each day. However the yard does get dappling during most of the day, and more direct sun in early spring when the oak leaves are not on or fully-grown.

4.Typically, our spring and fall bring a lot of rain and the summer brings

drought.

5. Our temperatures usually range from Â20° F in winter and 93°F in summer. Though it may be rare, the temperatures can be as extreme as

-30°F in winter and 104°F in summer. The air is on the humid side. Depending on your map some would call this "Zone 4a".

6. I would like plants that will work well with clover for plant compatibility and for color. I would prefer groundcover that is a brighter, darker green like clover (as opposed to a lighter grayer green). Also, I would prefer the groundcover to "Thrive More During the Summer Drought" when the clover is waning. Yet like the clover, I would like it to be green both late fall and early spring.

7. The yard gets some regular foot traffic from hanging laundry and other walking activities. Also the yard is prone to powdery mildew, black spot, slugs, leaf miners, earwigs and from symptoms I suspect aphids (also many ants). So whatever goes in needs to be able to tolerate or resist these conditions. Also it needs to tolerate debris, which the squirrels frequently drop to the ground and I cannot always keep up with. It should not uproot easily as the squirrels often dig in the lawn.

8. I would prefer plants that could have a relatively flat appearance INSTEAD of "mounding up in a clump."

9. I need to be able to rake through this groundcover. Since there are a LOT of fall leaves. Therefore, things that are viney, stringy, or taller like myrtle will NOT work.

10. Also, I would like to be able to mow the groundcover without damaging it.

11. The yard is too big for me to hand plant individual plants. I need to be able to seed in whatever I use at a "Reasonable Cost". Perhaps you know of a Wild or Native Seed Company, or another Garden Resource, That carries quality seed at great prices. PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO CONTACT THEM.

12. Also, if you know of any Company or Garden Resource, that "Shares Good Advice." PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO CONTACT THEM.

Comments (2)

Sponsored