Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_dirt

foe lawn

joe_dirt
18 years ago

Is there something that I could plant instead of grass for my front yard? Something cool looking and easy to maintain?I live out in the woods and kind of want a natural look. Any suggestions? Thanx all

Comments (4)

• adp_abq
    18 years ago

Clover ( new zealand white variety if you have alot of shade).

Here is a link that might be useful: clover lawn

• BruMeta
    18 years ago

At first I thought you meant to say, faux, but now I get it. I don't care much for lawns either, the idea of them, or the cultural bias that favors them.

I've excerpted from my response to a recent post in this forum, because it might contain relevant info. (I can't comment on the New Zealand clover, but it sounds good to me.) Large, adjacent patches of these groundcovers (especially the Sweet Woodruff and Asarum) could be very attractive with a lot of visual interest. Unlike clover, they probably require a bit of attention to get started, but once established, they require little maintenance.

Lamium (dead nettle): does best in bright shade; likes a rich (fertile, humusy); prefers moist soil (will tolerate some dryness but will not flourish); pretty good at suppressing grasses once it fills in; handsome in flower (white or pink); deer resistant (deer-proof for me). Should be mostly "evergreen" for you in zone 7.

Gallium (sweet woodruff): same light and soil conditions as Lamium; beautiful in flower (late spring); dies back in winter, re-emerges in early spring; self-sows and will "pop up" and spread in places that it likes; can be mowed (but why?); grows thickly and competes well with tree roots; deer resistant (deer-proof for me; I love this stuff).

Asarum europaeum (European ginger): super attractive; a slow spreader but fills in densely; prefers partial to full shade and rich humusy soil, constantly moist (but not wet); grows so thick it suppresses just about everything; also check out the more readily available A. canadense (wild ginger). A.e. is evergreen and deer-resistant (although they nibble A.e. in winter, but it grows back just as densely come spring); A.c. is deciduous.

All like humusy moist soil that drains well; all are easy to divide for propagation (anytime during the growing season); all are hardy for you in NJ; all are suitable for light shade; all are attractive. Fertilizers are not necessary.

[Pics of Asarum and Gallium through Google images or at my site: follow the link on "my page" to Rhododendron garden for Asarum e. or Woodland garden for Sweet Woodruff.]

• nmgirl
    18 years ago

Research native plants for your area, especially since you live "in the woods". I wouldn't recommend clover as it can be terribly invasive.Sure it can be easy to take care of but it can take over an area. If you want a native look choose plants that are native to your area. Try posting this same question in the native plant forum, I'll bet you'll get some great suggestions.

• woodlandpixie
    18 years ago

I agree with nmgirl , go native, especially since you are in the woods and what you plant will spread. Definetly not sweet woodruff, too invasive,I like partridgeberry with ferns but do you have deer? Try the woodland forum.
    Pixie

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH