Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowapalmz5

Northernmost Southern Magnolia?

iowapalmz5
18 years ago

I have two southern magnolias that I planted in my yard to see if they would make it here. I bought them from a Lowes in southern Illinois. So far they are still doing ok. Does anyone know if anyone has been successful with the southern magnolias in northern Illinois, Eastern Iowa or the rest of zone 5? I know I'm pushing the limit but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Comments (22)

• doniki
    18 years ago

iowapalm-
    What variety are they? When did you plant them.. There is a thread on the Midwest forum about Mag. grandiflora hardiness... Edith Bogue does great here for me without any winter burn... Other "hardy" varieties such as Bracken's and Little Gem will suffer burn/tip-dieback, but eventually the wood hardens off... They have repeatedly survived zone 5 temps (-20f) in Mid OH with winter burn, but good regrowth

• iowapalmz5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for responding. I bought them back in May at a Lowes in southern Illinois. I know they survive fine down there and so far the two I planted look fairly good. They both have some burn on about 50% of the leaves from a low of -12 back in December. Other than that we've had a real mild winter. The tag that was on the trees when I purchased them did not give any particular variety but I'm assuming they would be the fairly hardy type being that they we're being sold in southern Illinois.

• iowapalmz5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

doniki,
    The leaves aren't real brown or fuzzy underneath compared to some that I've seen before. The leaves are about 4-5 inches long and 2-3 inches wide. It didn't bloom last summer and when I purchased the trees they were only about 2-3 feet tall. One grew well over a foot last summer and is now a little over four feet. I'll let you know how they come through the winter. Actually it's been more like spring here for the last month. Still have to get through Feb though. Thanks for the input. How big is you're Edith and how long have you had it for?

• doniki
    18 years ago

iowa-
    Well, if the leaves aren't really fuzzy and brown, than it probably isn't Bracken's or Little Gem... I sounds like its either Edith Bogue, or just the straight species... My largest Edith Bogue is about 15ft and this is its 8th winter in the ground. I bought it from a nursery around Akron, OH which has an Edith Bogue (maybe 20ft) that supposedly went through -20F in 1994. I have two other Edith's that are about 8ft that I put in last year.... A little bit of wilt pruf might help with leaf burn incase it gets cold again...

• iowapalmz5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

doniki,
    How is the foilage on yours? When I was in St.Louis last summer I saw several Southern Mags, some real nice ones at the zoo and also some around town. I noticed that on alot of them the foilage was not real full. I've been applying wilt-pruf after we've had alot of rain or snow. Do you have any pics of yours? What part of Ohio are you in? Thanks for the comments.

• doniki
    18 years ago

iowapalm-
    The ones that are not real full are probably Edith Bogue... It has a fairly open habit. It is not the most attractive Southern Magnolia, but if you live in the north and you want a Southern Magnolia, it is one of your best choices. Bracken's Brown Beauty is a much more attractive, dense plant, and is more floriferous... But, I would say (and many people would argue against me) that Bracken's is not as hardy as Edith and is more susceptible to winter burn. I live in Canton, OH (Pro footbal Hall of Fame) about 45 min south of Cleveland... Being south of Lake Erie, we get quite a bit of cloud cover in winter that often helps moderate temps... I see a lot of various Southern Magnolia's in Southern OH, which is a solid zone 6... but they are spotty at best up here... I don't have a scanner at home, but I can try to have a friend post a pic of my Edith for you if you'd like. I do not spray with wilt-pruf anymore, it's too big... but it is never injured by cold. The newer ones from this summer still look good, except the one that gets the most sun, has a tiny bit of burn on some of the leaves... maybe 10%. There is a southern magnolia called "24 below" that apparently went through: you guessed it -24F in 1985 and 1994 w/out injury... It is available (probably by mail) at Arrowhead Alpines in Mid Michigan... I personally can not tell a difference between 24 below and Edith... They look the same???...

• iowapalmz5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Doniki,
    I'll have to check into that place in Michigan. Don't worry about posting the pics. But thanks anyway.

• cory_in_iowa
    18 years ago

It is in the midst of it's third winter and has never suffered any dieback. Hopefully with this easy winter (so far!) it won't have any either. I also have a Moonglow Sweetbay magnolia which has done well and actually holds it's leaves a little better than the BBB. E-mail me with any questions.

• iowapalmz5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cory,
    I'm down here in Bettendorf. How big is the Brakens? Does it loose alot of leaves in winter? How long have you had the Sweetbay? This winter has been really mild. Where did you get them? I also have a needle palm and two small sabal minors outside and all three have done really well this winter.

Jay

• cory_in_iowa
    18 years ago

It loses all it's leaves each winter and looks pretty shaky in the spring. It always comes out of it and pushes new leaves on. It did grow about a foot and a half last year. We'll see how it does with keeping it's leaves this spring if this winter keeps up. The Moonglow is new and I've only had it in the ground this year. It's leaves have remained mostly green as compared to the Brackens so we'll see if they stay on.

Arbor Village has some great prices on BBB and Edith Bogue as well.Here's a link.

http://arborvillagellc.com/

I bought the Moonglow up near Dubuque at a very cool place called Ridge Road Nursery. Awesome place with some very unusual plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ridge Road Nursery

• tenor_peggy
    18 years ago

Back up in WI some of my neighbors had beautiful flowering pink magnolia trees that were breathtaking in early spring. I looked at that Ridge Road Nursery and Magnolia Sprengeri looks very much like the ones I saw up north.

• iowapalmz5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I posteda year or so ago asking about the hardiness of magnolia grandiflora. So far the two originals I put in the ground have defoiliated each winter but have come back 100% the following year and have gotten taller. I've also planted a BBB and it has been in the ground for one winter. Kept about 50% of it's leaves through the winter and I had about 10 blooms on it this summer. I would encourage anyone to try these in the midwest. Other than a good mulching, I have not protected them.

• preed
    16 years ago

Iowapalmz5, you are a hard person to contact. Your page doesn't have your email address. My doctor and I are really excited about the prospect of palm trees in Iowa.

Please tell me what you have found out.

Thanks, PReed

• iowapalmz5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just updated my account here. It should display my e-mail. If it doesn't here it is: jmbump96@msn.com. Yes the palms I have are still here and have been in the ground through the winters but protected. Drop me a mail if you have questions

• theyardman
    16 years ago

These Southern Magnolias have been grown in SE MI for as long as I can remember. They have made it down to -11 F in 1982 and down to -2 F 2006.

Now that you say it, I don't see too many in Michigan outside of Greater Detroit Area; however, they are very common here and even sell them at Lowes/Home Depot.

• krazyaroider
    16 years ago

Hello ~
    I can chime in here as I live in Hamburg, NY - just south of Buffalo and exactly 1.5 miles from Lake Erie.
    I have been growing an unamed Magnolia grandiflora from Appalachian Gardens (Waynesboro, PA)in the ground for at least four years and it is growing larger each year. It was about 1.5 feet tall and now around 4 feet tall. It got me thinking and researching on hardy southern Magnolias...
    I am experimenting with M. grandiflora cultivars 'Edith Bogue', 'Bracken' s Brown Beauty','Pocono' and just ordered '24 Below'. I shall overwinter these and plant in spring.
    ~ Gerry

• krazyaroider
    16 years ago

I recieved my Magnolia grandiflora "24 Below" and they are extremely healthy looking. Unfortunately, the weather is very good for this time of year for Buffalo, NY - the problem is January & particularily FEBRUARY. We get alot of snow cover, however, I would rather get them to a good start in the spring as Magnolias respond better to spring planting according to my research...
    Happy Thanksgiving...
    ~ Gerry

• talonman
    14 years ago

I ended up buying a southern magnolia about 3 years back in Central Florida while visiting family. I planted it in my front yard far away from my house and it has ended up growing great. however, in the first 2 years it had soem wilted leaves but now it has gotten used to the New York climate and i think its gonna grow great for many years to come. :)

• theyardman
    14 years ago

My Grandparents home in St. Clair Shores, Michigan has a magificent Southern Magnolia tree that is the most beautiful tree on the street. We have other types of magnolias in Michigan, but this has the glossy leaves and is about 30 ft. tall now and about 30 feet wide.

It looses some leaves all year long and when my grandpa lived there he used to curse it. Very messy tree.

• gregejohnson
    13 years ago

I have a cultivar called 'Coco' here in Maine. If it survives it seems it will be one of the most notherly southern magnolias on the East coast anyway. I am directly west of Portland Me about half way to the new hampshire border for reference.
    I would have liked to get BBB or 24 below but the price was right on Coco and this magnolia is really something else. Keeping in mind it is the only one I have ever seen in real life there is little warrent to my statement that I think it is nicer looking than others of which I have only seen pictures. So I am happy with the purchase.
    I ammended the hell out of the soil as I am spoiling this tree before a harsh winter. I may put lights on it or just wrap it in burlap... Hope it does well!

• onedriven
    7 years ago

I'd love to have an update on some of your Magnolia Grandiflora cultivars in eastern Iowa and surrounding areas. I'm relatively new to the area and am thinking of trying one out. I planted a Sunsation Magnolia last year, but really want a classic Grandiflora variety!