Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fam654

Bulbs in January

fam654
16 years ago

I received a gift of allium giganteum bulbs, from what I understand, too late for fall planting. I'm wondering how best to proceed to ensure their magic comes to life. For now, I've got them wrapped in newspaper in the cold cellar but have had limited success over-wintering bulbs in this location in the past. Then, should they survive this winter, am wondering how best to store these bulbs through the summer. Would appreciate any tips!

Comment (1)

• linda_schreiber
    16 years ago

Fall is the best time to plant bulbs, but since it wasn't possible this time, you just have to 'punt'. Don't even *think* about trying to store them over the summer to plant next fall. Won't work. Instead, you fake it.

Is the cold cellar they're stored in colder than about 50 degrees? If so, then that's great. [You might want to remove the newspaper unless the temp varies greatly there.] If not, try to get them between 35 and 50 degrees. If the last resort is a fridge, leave them open to air.

They like a little longer cold treatment than some other bulbs, so you'll have to fiddle with time some. My best guess would be that in the first week or two of May, take them out of the cold and plant them. The soil should be diggable by then, but if it's not, just plant them in a pot temporarily. Then transplant them gently when you can. Remember, they need to be planted pretty deep.

As long as the bulb breaks dormancy and puts out leaves, you're doing great. This will take longer than you might think, because the root systems are getting a really late start. Don't panic.

I suspect they'll be just fine, but it's possible you won't get good flowering in the first year because you had to play with time. However, the leaves will rebuild the bulb, and next year they'll be great.

Best of luck,
    Linda S

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!