Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrbillyto

Potted Spruce Tree - Help

mrbillyto
15 years ago

Someone just gave me a live potted spruce tree (3-4 ft tall) that they have had inside for a couple of weeks. I would like to re-introduce it back outside until I can get it planted in the ground in the spring but I don't know how. I know I shouldn't just put it outside as it is probably got sap running now. I have a south facing balcony or a north facing front stoop it can go on.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting the living tree back outside now...January and have it survive?

Thanks,

Bill

Comments (2)

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

I don't know what's riskier - shocking it with cold out in a garage, etc. or leaving it indoors since spruce are not house plants.

I think you'd get the best help over on the Conifers Forum. If it's been watered and the soil is wet you might really freeze the roots in a block of ice. Might be another thing to ask about.

• foghorn1
    15 years ago

Hello,
    I am a Forest Technician, with some experience in potted trees. I would suggest a slow acclimatization. If you can start by tranfering the tree into a garage during the day for at least 5 days (taking it in at night, to a cool,dark area) then start opening the garage door to allow some indirect sunlight. A slow transition is best. Dont allow the root ball to freeze and keep the tree out of direct sunlight. Leave it in the pot until the ground is easily tilled and freezing temperatures are no longer a risk. Keep the soil moist but not wet. Your biggest concern is direct sunlight which will dry out the needles if the roots are not able to keep-up with moisture loss. Slow and steady return to 'normal' is best! Good luck.