Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know of a bulk source of biochar in Michigan??

Posted by kmcdonou MI (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 19, 10 at 12:23

I just recently got turned on to the idea of using biochar in my garden (for those that don't know anything about biochar see this article in Mother Earth News http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/Make-Biochar-To-Improve-Your-Soil.aspx). Actually, I was planning to use it in my worm compost bin, but if I could buy enough in bulk, was considering putting on my vegetable garden. I've found someone on Ebay that sells it, along with someone else online, but I'd like to buy it in Michigan so I can save on shipping.

Does anyone know of anyone producing biochar on a commercial level in Michigan?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know of a bulk source of biochar in Michigan??

• Posted by rawb 5, Erie shoreline (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 20, 10 at 1:59

I have no idea.. Sorry.. but I did find that Mich. Tech is working on it. I didn't go thru the whole page, but perhaps someplace on this page you can contact someone who may know where to buy commercial biochar..

Here is a link that might be useful: Michigan Tech

o

I did contact them, but no one responded. I asked the lead faculty member and the director of the Terra Preta project and neither one responded to my emails. Pretty disappointing.

o

• Posted by rawb 5, Erie shoreline (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 20, 10 at 19:34

Figures! Or maybe they already started spring break early?.. LoL..

Perhaps if you asked to be an independent field tester they might have replied?

o

i've wondered, why can't a person just buy real wood charcoal, crush it up & add it to the soil?

o

Hello,
My husband and I own a new company in Cadillac Michigan that produces biochar. Our website is in development (michiganbiochar.com).
We are currently producing biochar on a low volume and are increasing our output by the week. If you are interested in what we may do for you, please call my husband, Mark, at 231-920-1234 (cell). Or, you could e-mail him at msisson@ebsagency.com.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here