Broccoli
Romaine Lettuce
Spinach

How early can they be put out?

Direct sow or transplant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant....

No rush on the broccoli, you want it to mature in cooler (late summer/ fall) weather. The others can be direct seeded when the soil is ready in early Spring. They'll germinate in cold soil & handle freezing weather.

o

You should check out the Winter Sowing (WS) forum. It's a great technique for getting those cold weather veggies started nice and early, all outdoors and NO growlights. It'll sound farfetched at first, but read the FAQ.

Happy Growing,

Feegle

o

I'm in the Chicago area. I've always heard that peas can be sown outdoors on St. Patrick's Day, and that's when I've tended to do it. And it's a good excuse to go sticking your fingers in the soil in March.

I don't know that it's worth your while to do transplants, "winter sowing" or otherwise, for things like lettuce and spinach, although if you had an actual coldframe, I think a lot of people start their lettuce in those.

o

Broccoli or any cabbage family can be sown now using the Winter Sowing method. I have already sown a lot of flowers and some chinese broccoli since the middle of January. All the containers are out on the patio covered with snow right now.

Check out the Winter Sowing forum. I started winter sowing this year and I am having a great time this winter. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here