Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
snow

Posted by diggerb2 z5oh (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 22, 05 at 13:05

more snow to shovel today.
surely there must be something new on the great Lakes forum
worth looking into to avoid the task at hand. If I'm looking for diversion, maybe someone else is looking for a new posting too.

Suggestions on zone 5 shade loviong yellow flowering plants?

diggerb.

I'm stuck in my office today

help me

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: snow

lamium (dead nettle.) can be aggressive, so I'm told. Mine is staying in it's little clump so far. Last year was gorgeous, but this year's got bad bug bites. Really looked ratty. Last year was stunning though.

Enjoy the snow. My dear neighbor took his snowplow to the end of my driveway, so at least we didin't have to dig out the big pile left by the city snowplows.

o

Trout lilies are pretty cute, quite yellow faced, red backsides on flower. Lily shaped trumpet, but small. Might be in wildflowers area. They bloom early, not all shady yet under trees. Like a moist soil, shade in later summer. I like the leaves, kind of long points from the root. Nice little spots are attractive. They do spread and thicken up over time, not traveling, but expand a bit, to make a nice mat effect. Not too tall, 5-7 inch leaves, with flowers slightly taller. I lucked into mine, they popped out after we thinned the woods a bit.

o

The snow is blowing like crazy here. What I've heard called celandine poppies (stylophorum, I think) are certainly shade lovers and certainly yellow. They're a wee bit rampant too. There's always corydalis lutea and primrose.

o

• Posted by Katt 5b (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 24, 05 at 20:07

I'm sidelined from the snowshovel for a couple of days,pulled my shoulder trying to push the car ....yellow flrs in the shade-Kirengeshoma is nice as is Uvularia,and Alchemilla will make itself a ground cover for you if you let it .There are also a few members of the Digitalis family that are yellow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here