Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliana63

What plants are you coveting this spring?

Juliana63
18 years ago

Plant catalogues are coming thick and fast -- any standouts or must haves?

My wish list:

Centaurea montana 'Purple Heart'

Caryopteris 'Sunshine Blue'

Astrantia 'Moulin Rouge'

Heuchera 'Sparkling Burgundy' and 'Caramel'

Paw Paw cultivars -- everyone is sold out! Any leads?

Think Spring!

Juliana

Comments (13)

• chills71
    18 years ago

For pawpaws I'd check www.burntridgenursery.com . I have ordered other plants from them in the past and they were excellent. They do ship them bareroot, though.

There is also www.eat-it.com . I haven't ordered from them (though I did this year, and again I haven't ordered Pawpaws from them)

I ordered my own pawpaws from Petersonpawpaws, though they are sold out.

I wanted to get scion wood from Wells to graft to one of my seedling Pawpaws. I have also had no luck.

My wish list for this year....hmmmmmm...

I have already ordered a Persimmon, a Che tree, a Crandall clove currant (this was the #1 this year), a Kleim's Hardy Gardenia, an Avant Garde Clematis.

What else is left... Bletilla striata (the Chinese hardy ground orchid) and a hardy cyclamen. Both are reputed hardy enough to grow here and it is not likely that anyone else nearby is growing either of them.

~Chills

• compost_hugger_nancy
    18 years ago

Definately Marsh Marigold
    More Pitcher Plants
    More Jack in Pulpit

• eileen53
    18 years ago

I'D LIKE TO HAVE: PAPAW, OSAGE ORANGE, ASIAN PERSSIMONS, JUBI JUBI, GOOSEBERRIES

• dmcevenue
    18 years ago

Ooooohh....I'm lusting after (but will probably never find):

Golden shadows pagoda dogwood
    Hinoki cypress obtusa "Compacta"
    Coleus "Coral Glo"
    Perennial sweet pea
    Itea "Little Henry"
    Rugosa roses...but I don't have enough sun...
    Fargesia rufa

If I can find the first two I'll be thrilled!

• lisa03
    18 years ago

debsz4, if you are an RBG member, they have 2 gal Golden shadows pagoda dogwoods in the select member sale this year and they deliver. I've already ordered one.

• rustyacres
    18 years ago

I have Perennial sweet pea, let me know

Cristy

• dmcevenue
    18 years ago

Lisa - thanks for the info re the RBG. I'm not a member but I've been looking at their website and thinking maybe I should join!

I see they have a big Garden Show coming up. Do you have any idea how it compares to Canada Blooms? I''ve been to Canada Blooms a few times but have sort of gone off it because it seems to be too much design and not enough plants...or interesting plants anyway. At the RBG show, I wonder if the focus is more on plants...?

Anyway - thanks for the tip!

• lisa03
    18 years ago

debsz5, the RBG garden show is a MUCH smaller event than Canada Blooms. It has several display gardens, but mostly it has vendors of plants, garden tools, pots, as well as landscape companies. It has nurseries from around southern ontario, so I have found it a good place to get some unusual plants from nurseries in niagara, etc which I wouldn't usually travel to (from Hamilton). Some nurseries sell their plants at the same price as at the nursery and others put on a 10-20% discount for the show. It was at this show that I first saw a live cornus controversa variegata -- a beautiful 6' specimen in bloom but with a hefty $400 price tag! It stimulated me to go out and find a source for a much smaller one (for $60).

• dmcevenue
    18 years ago

Excellent - thanks Lisa, I'll definitely give it a try...and I've sent in my membersship for the RBG!

• chills71
    18 years ago

Eileen...I've got or will be planting this spring everything you list but Jubi Jubi...What is that?

~Chills

• diggerb2
    18 years ago

need to get that yellow clematis. need to get pat austin rose, maria stern rose, kerria. really want some hakone grass. need to find a home for a wisteria(gift from wife-- doesn't always consult before purchase. need to get giant
    solomen's seals got to have some ferns-- not sure what type yet. that black lace elderberry is looking better and better to me too. got to unload a clethra-- bought on recommendation of high fragrance-- only can say that it smells-- before sniffing it out(i'm allergic to musk and its way to close for comfort). looking for that honeycomb butterfly bush-- some sort of a buddelia. I need trellises to plant as well
    diggerb

• chills71
    18 years ago

You might want to check out the variegated butterfly bush. I had the honeycomb one and was disappointed with it (bloomed poorly for me..and I've got 3 regular ones that do well). I replaced the honeycomb one with the variegated. Even if it blooms poorly it still looks great.

~Chills

• poppydog
    17 years ago

Ok, I know it's an annual but I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of Caladium rubicundrum BiColor - somebody on this site posted a picture of theirs (now I can't find it!) and I MUST have one.