Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodhors

Michigan Tree Loss--Need Serious Replanting

goodhors
17 years ago

I was reading the Saturday Homestyle in the Detroit paper. Jeff Ball's article about the huge tree loss in SE Michigan is pretty scary. The numbers between the two dates of survey have changed dramatically and not for the good. The present, greatly reduced tree canopy is affecting the whole ecology of the area. No one is working to improve the situation in great enough quantity to really show a change. The idea of needing 50 MILLION trees to just get back to a stablized situation, is incredible!

I found very interesting how much work trees do while just standing about! I had no idea they worked so hard, and we benefited so greatly.

Article is below, makes for very interesting reading, even if you are not in that area of Michigan. Some facts and figures to use, when talking about trees to the unknowing. Sure widened my knowledge. Read and learn, maybe go plant a tree or ten trees!

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070120/OPINION03/701200337/1038/LIFESTYLE01

Comments (3)

• roxann
    17 years ago

I didn't read the Detroit paper abt the tree loss but I know
    I lost 3 poplars,1 lilac bush, 3 rose of sharon bushes,and a
    cherry tree.I might even lost more,I haven't been outside
    checking on the other trees and bushes lately.It really makes you wonder whats going on.

• casper1
    17 years ago

South/east Michigan is not the only place in "NEED" of trees, this is happening world wide. Trees absorb CO2, a green house gas,and produce oxygen,we all know this, but we have been removing trees for thousands of years and not replacing them. The result "GLOBAL WARMING"

• roadtrip
    17 years ago

EAB or Emerald Ash Bore is a extremely deadly pest that has been taking out Ash trees "up north" and the federal funds to stop it's spread are lacking. Sadly, Michagain has been left to "burn", while the available funds are directed to removing all the ash trees to create an ash free zone to try and stop the spread.

Perhaps the EAB has resulted in or at least aided in the decline in the canopy. Sad what is happening up there, truely sad, but the folks in Washington just don't care.

Shannon

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area