Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canuckistani

Places to get good quality manure and compost

canuckistani
15 years ago

I'm in the GTA and looking for places to get cheap or free manure and compost. Any suggestions?

Comments (4)

• canuckistani
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just learned municipal compost is very cheap $35 for a tonne! Only available from May on though. Anyone know of a source during the spring?

• retiredtraveler
    15 years ago

This will not apply everywhere, of course.
    I live in a semi-rural area in greater Chicago. In the Spring, there are a lot of ads placed in the paper, primarily from horse farms (which we have many of in this area), giving away composted hay/manure. They're trying to dispose of it, so everyone wins if you don't mind hauling this yourself.

If you have a library in your area that keeps papers back from last year, you could go through the classifieds from the Spring and see if there is anything free. I assume the classifieds have a 'give away' column, or 'free' column.

• stage_rat
    15 years ago

I have found manure by looking in the yellow pages or Google maps for horse stables and calling them. They are quite accustomed to getting calls from gardeners. Some of them put it in dumpsters and get it hauled away, making it very fresh and hard-to-get. The place I love piles it up for a long time and it's aged nicely. They don't advertise, I found them (in the Chicago area) just by calling the closest stables. (If anyone in the western suburbs wants to know where it is, email me)

Good luck in your search for Toronto manure!

• burbes
    15 years ago

Here in the southern-most tip of Ontario, I go to the local waste management facility. They have a lawn clipping area where they convert lawn and garden ruffage into compost. They sell it for $12/yard!!! Cheap cheap cheap. I just went and picked some up today ... there was a HUGE pile.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville