Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can these be direct sown?

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Jan 3, 12 at 18:05

I know normally with cabbage and broccoli you start them indoors as transplants from seed, then harden them off. This is because they take so long to grow, otherwise you don't get a harvest.

However I found a very early maturing variety of both
broccoli and cabbage. The broccoli is early dividend and takes 45 days to mature; cabbage is just a normal green variety, and it takes 40 days to mature.

So would I be able to direct sow them in early spring?

By 'early spring' I mean mid to late April, if weather cooperates; if this isn't feasible, then beginning of May.

The reason I ask this is because normally you transplant broccoli and cabbage out (after they've been hardened off) when they're 4-5 weeks old.

However if I started these varieties indoors then by the time they're ready to be transplanted, since they're so quick to mature, wouldn't they be ready to harvest if direct sown outdoors?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can these be direct sown?

I would believe so. If you got the seeds from a purchased seed packet you can contact their customer service who are normally very helpful.

Another thing you can do is cover the planting area with black plastic to let the sun heat up the soil prior to planting your seeds. I'd say a month before you want to plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here