Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jugglerguy

What's your favorite gardening magazine?

jugglerguy
19 years ago

I've been into gardening for quite a while, but have never ordered a magazine. When I watch gardening shows on TV, I'm sometimes disappointed that they all seem to be in California, so the plants they use don't really work in Michigan. I was wondering if there's a good magazine that is geared toward northern zones (I'm in Alpena, zone 4-5). I like good photography for inspiration, but I also like some substance in the accompanying article. I'm also interested in garden design as much as, if not more than individual plants. So does anyone know of a magazine that I might like?

Comments (14)

• grannymarsh
    19 years ago

"Horticulture" They have a section towards the back that gives you the proper pronunciation for all plants discussed in that issue. Plus regional articles. I've been subscribing for 4 or 5 years.

• cody_mi
    19 years ago

horticulture
    fine gardening
    organic gardening
    country gardens
    garden design

• goodhors
    19 years ago

The magazines mentioned are all good. I also like Horticulture, who does geographic sections to cover the whole nation. They are real good, have given me many ideas, reasonable approaches to gardening. Garden Design is also very nice, many ideas, great designs in all areas, I just thought it was too expensive for my magazine budget. Same with Fine Gardening, great stuff, just an expensive magazine.

• stinkypink
    19 years ago

Oviously a magazine called "Chicagoland Gardening" will have some things you wouldn't care about, like local nursery listings, but since it mostly deals with zone 5ish Illinois gardening, it might be worth a look. I have no idea if it's cheaper than FG or not.

• Bob_Zn5
    19 years ago

The American Gardener is the house publication of the American Horticultural Society. It is free with membership. AHS's headquarters is in PA so they have a cool climate bias. I've found most of the articles applicable to my Zn 4/5 WI garden. It has replaced Horticulture as my favorite. I just got an offer for Garden Design at $11.95 for a year. I think I'll try that & drop Organic Gardening.

• jugglerguy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

• mysteryrose
    19 years ago

I enjoy People, Places, and Plants, which covers New England and New York. Most of the plants they write about will work in Michigan. That's where I learned about the Volcano series of phlox, a phlox paniculata that is truly mildew free.

• tosa_rose
    19 years ago

For general gardening, I absolutely love Fine Gardening, by far the best in gardening.

Since I am really, really into roses, and am a member of the American Rose Society, their publication, the American Rose, is a very nice monthly magazine that contains great pictures, ideas and cool ways to grow roses even better! They also have a special feature for gardening in specific zones which is nice for us in zone 5.

Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Milwaukee Rose Society

• Aeolian_MI
    19 years ago

I really like Gardener's World they always seem to showcase a lot of great ideas and plants. It is an import so the cost is a little high and advertisers don't mean much but especially in the winter when I am going through withdrawls it is worth it. I pick up at Border's Books.
    I know your frustration with gardening shows I'm so sick of hearing "hardy to zone 7"

• ahughes798
    19 years ago

Garden Gate. No ads, great info. April

• ninamarie
    19 years ago

Canadian Gardening. Excellent magazine, recommended for northern areas. There is a web site.

• jugglerguy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Between this post and an older one I found, I decided on Fine Gardening and Garden Gate. I received my first two issues this week and they're exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Rob

• garden_gazer
    19 years ago

I just found a new magazine called Backyard Living. It is published by Reiman publications in Greendale WIb. The Magazine has real people with real yards...not big mansions. It has lots of different sections...a bit about birding, they have specialized plansts each month, backyard makeovers that are affordable and lots of pictures and no advertising. I really enjoy it.

• diggerb2
    19 years ago

everytime i think I've found a great magazine, after a few issues nothing seems to appeal to me anymore. I've finally decided to give up the magazine subscriptions and go to the public library to read the ones i want-- it has fine gardening, horticulture, organic gardening, garden gate, herb quarterly and one or two others-- so i'm lucky. Usually
    i pick a rainy saturday or sunday and sit and read everything current.
    I finally had to do the dame thjing with cooking magazines and no just get cook's illustrated, bon appetit, and food and wine.
    about 2 years ago we decided to trim down subscriptions (we were at 65 total) have whittled the list to 40. and we oly are allowed to get 2 new subscriptions each year, if we want more we have to drop something off the list.
    I know the mailman hates coming to us on the first of the month.
    Anyway I was just suggesting a alternative to gatting a subscription.
    digger b