Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teryaki_gw

NEohio magnolia source?

teryaki
16 years ago

Hi, on behalf of a family member I'm trying to find hardy magnolias somewhere near Cleveland. Thanks folks.

Comments (2)

• diggerb2
    16 years ago

exactly what type of magnolia are you looking for for this family mamber. saucer and star magnolias are hardy in this area and can be found at many gardencenters-- in the spring of course.

if you are looking for the southern types there are some that will make it through the winter, but you may not get blooms on a regular basis. to see what will grow here you might try the cleveland botanical gardens or holden arboretum.

another place to search you be on the magnolia forum here at garden web.

diggerb

• krazyaroider
    16 years ago

I really want to help you on this quest, but more detail is clearly necessary.
    1. You could google Cleveland OH, area Nurseries and check them out if they have web sites. - OR - take their phone # and call regarding Magnolia spp. they may carry.
    2. Are you looking for evergreen magnolias or deciduous magnolias?
    3. Hardy southern magnolias for this area are known as Edith Bogue or Brackens Brown Beauty. Sweetbay - M. virginiana also is semi evergreen and is hardy in that area.
    4. There is no Magnolia Forum on GardenWeb - I got "shot down" when I made that suggestion some time ago.

I tried the best to give the best ideas in your friend's search.

~ Gerry