Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crittergrl_gw

When and what to plant in Cleveland area

crittergrl
18 years ago

I need advice on when to plant, and what might be good to plant, in a backyard garden on the westside of Cleveland. I've never gardened in the area. I'm used to Northern California gardening. I'm doing this to give my mother a pretty and low-maintenance garden. Right now she has very little planted. I appreciate any and all advice as to when I should do the planting (I plan to be there in May) and what would do well. The yard gets morning sun, primarily.

Thanks.

JT

Comment (1)

• arborgirl
    18 years ago

Hi! I am originally from Cleveland (west side!) and my parents still live just south of the city. From what I can gather from remembering my mom's gardening, marigolds, impatiens, begonias, salvia, and petunias are great, low maintenance flowers (just be sure the impatiens don't get TOO much sun!). As for bigger plants, hostas do fabulously well there (my mom keeps having to divide hers), as well as peonies. Just be sure to keep them well watered, as you never know what the summer will be like in that area.

As for planting time, I would suggest no earlier than about May 15th. My parents usually plant around Memorial Day just to be on the safe side, temp.-wise.

Hope that helps. Just some stuff off the top of my head!

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia