Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When and what to plant in Cleveland area

Posted by crittergrl (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 06 at 0:34

I need advice on when to plant, and what might be good to plant, in a backyard garden on the westside of Cleveland. I've never gardened in the area. I'm used to Northern California gardening. I'm doing this to give my mother a pretty and low-maintenance garden. Right now she has very little planted. I appreciate any and all advice as to when I should do the planting (I plan to be there in May) and what would do well. The yard gets morning sun, primarily.

Thanks.

JT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When and what to plant in Cleveland area

Hi! I am originally from Cleveland (west side!) and my parents still live just south of the city. From what I can gather from remembering my mom's gardening, marigolds, impatiens, begonias, salvia, and petunias are great, low maintenance flowers (just be sure the impatiens don't get TOO much sun!). As for bigger plants, hostas do fabulously well there (my mom keeps having to divide hers), as well as peonies. Just be sure to keep them well watered, as you never know what the summer will be like in that area.

As for planting time, I would suggest no earlier than about May 15th. My parents usually plant around Memorial Day just to be on the safe side, temp.-wise.

Hope that helps. Just some stuff off the top of my head!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here