Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Free guinea pigs' dropping for gardeners

Posted by pitimpinai z5 Chicago (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 21, 05 at 8:02

Hey! Hey! Hey! Gardeners in Chicago southern suburbs & NW Indiana!!

Check out the guinea pig rescue in Chicago Heights. The people who run it have 3 large garbage bags of goodies to give away everyday: guinea pigs' droppings, beddings, newspapers, & hays. They have to pay big $ to have them hauled away. I received permission to give you this magic e-mail address:

Zoo357@aol.com

I posted this info. in the Soil & Midwest gardening forums too. I wish the rescue were closer to me. :-(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Free guinea pigs' dropping for gardeners

Wow, I never thought of that. They (the guinea pigs) are herbivores so fecal organisms should not be a problem. They give away 3 LARGE garbage bags EACH DAY? They must have lots of g. pigs.

o
RE: Free guinea pigs' dropping for gardeners

Yup, wonderful stuffs. Good as fertilizer & mulch. Great for compost. Not smelly like manure either, I know, because my son used to have them as pets.

They have 70 GP right now and have rescued over 1200 in recent years, I was told.

Unfortunately, I live nearly two hours away at the opposite end of the city or I would go get them everyday! I might be tempted to make a trip this summer. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here