Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheyjohn_z5

How early do you dare to start?

cheyjohn_z5
19 years ago

I had planned to winter sow, but never got around to doing it. I have some clear containers that I had saved, and I was wondering if I could use them as a sort of green house over seeds. I am just not sure how early I can do this safely. I hope I have explained myself ok.

Chey

Comments (9)

• MqtKen
    19 years ago

Next week I am planting my seeds indoors. The first week of April I will be planting outside with Wall-o-Waters.

• cheyjohn_z5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have never had good luck starting seeds indoors. Also, I don't really have the room inside to do it since we moved into this smaller house. That's why I am thinking I may just start outdoors but protect with my clear containers (greenhouse effect?) I was just wondering how early has anyone dared to do it this way. I will check into the WOW though. Thanks for mentioning it! :)

Chey

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

Please check out the Winter Sowing forum and the following article.

http://www.nj.com/enter/index.ssf?/living/ledger/index.ssf%3f/base/living-0/110862120870240.xml

A lot of people have been having a great time sowing in plastic containers (milk jugs, pop bottles, plastic bags, etc.) and setting them outdoors since Christmas. These people swear by the method.

I found out about this winter sowing 4 weeks ago and have been converted.

Try it. It's fun. :-)

• cheyjohn_z5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I was so afraid it was too late to try it. Thanks for the link. I will check it out. Now to get all my clear covers together. :)

Chey

• cheyjohn_z5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hmmm, I wonder if it matters that I want to plant right into the ground and cover with the clear containers..... I'll have to find time today to read those links you suggested.

Chey

• MqtKen
    19 years ago

If I planted outside over Christmas, I'd have about 6' of snow on top of them. =)

Man I love living in the snow capital.

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

According to the people who winter sow, 6' of snow will not be detrimental to the seeds sown with the method. I sowed mine and they were buried last month under 3' of snow.

I urge you to check out the Winter Sowing forum, really. It was an eye opener for me. :-)

• deerfieldponder
    19 years ago

I am winter sowing.
    But I have started Anemone, Wild Blue Indigo, Alpine Strawberry, Kentuckey Wisteria inside under lights this week. I am hoping they take awhile to germinate as advertised.
    Cheers, Matt.

• deerfieldponder
    19 years ago

I am winter sowing.
    But I have started Anemone, Wild Blue Indigo, Alpine Strawberry, Kentuckey Wisteria inside under lights this week. I am hoping they take awhile to germinate as advertised.
    Cheers, Matt.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH