Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drfood_gw

Intensely gardened 1acre suburban homestead near Madison for sale

DrFood
11 years ago

Hello Great Lakes gardeners!

I need advice in locating a gardening family that will value my organically gardened property. It looks like we might need to move, something we never planned on. I've been planting trees, bushes and perennials for more than a decade, and the only thing that breaks my heart more than leaving them behind is the idea of the next land owner ripping them out because fruit trees are "too much work."

Our property is in the village of Waunakee, which is just north of Madison, WI. It takes less than half an hour to get to the capitol building, central city, etc. We are immediately adjacent to the village's middle school, high school, library, elementary school and intermediate school, so kids can walk to school from K-12. The property looks like a pretty normal lot from the front, but is actually one acre in size, with a large outbuilding out back. I've been keeping chickens here for 11 years, sort of under the radar, but if a subsequent home owner continued to have hens (no rooster!) it should be fine. I've been building soil here for over a decade--any advice on finding a buyer that values this?

The house is around 3000 sqft, and we just installed a geothermal heating and cooling system this past summer. Doing that involved a lot of digging, so I completely re-landscaped the front yard, with a hugelkultur berm, much less lawn, dozens of day lilies and over 3000 perennial bulbs, including camassia. We have had a solar hot water system for years, which means that we don't even use the backup on-demand natural gas water heater from May through October (we turn it off!). Even in the rest of the year, most of our hot water needs are covered by the sun.

My problem is that I need to find the people who will appreciate the unusual things we've done here. The typical home owner is not interested in having 2 paw paw trees. . .

I've read discussions here many times, but I am a new member, so if there is a better place to put a request for help like this, please let me know.

Comments (2)

• jomuir
    11 years ago

head to the buying & selling homes forum for more advice Dr.Food. Lots of activity, I'm sure you'll get a response, wear your flak jacket, if you ask advice there, you will get it :)

edited to add link to the forum

Here is a link that might be useful: real estate forum

This post was edited by jomuir on Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 15:38

• scotty12869
    11 years ago

Hello, I maybe very interested in your place. Currently live in Waukesha and we have been thinking of making a move to the Madison area. Let me know! Thanks

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!