Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerb2

whats up n your garden

diggerb2
16 years ago

well its already february and its time to start tracking whats up and flowering in your garden. spring is rolling in!!!!

last thursday (that would be feb 1st) i caught sight of my first snow bells. yippy!!. last year thay were going by the middle of january and some in december. its always a treat to see the first blooms of a new year.

now lest you think i'm gardening in florida or georgia or someplace where its hitting the 60's on a regular basis: i live just north of akron, ohio. a solid zone 5 for sure. i'm way too far south to enjoy lake effect warming. so don't get discouraged by my posting. spring is on the way.

nothing else is doining anything except the chickweed next to my front porch.

so what's up for you-- and you zone 7 , 8, 9 and 10 gardeners give us a break--please!!!!

diggerb

Comments (24)

• lmv67
    16 years ago

My 'Diane' witch hazel is about to bloom, and I could see the tulips poking their heads out of the soil before this last snowfall, but now all I can see is SNOW. Mind you the orange-red blooms of the witch hazel look better against a white background, lol.

• elaine_mi
    16 years ago

I haven't made my first foray into the garden yet, but your post is gonna make me do it! Not today, though ... everything is snow covered this morning.

It would make me so happy to see something poking out of the ground, I am longing for spring!
    Elaine

• minnesuing
    16 years ago

I had noticed some daffodils sprouting near the house, but with a foot of snow overnight I think they are going to have to wait a little while longer!

• Drakens
    16 years ago

Nothing, we just had a foot of snow and more is in the forecast, followed by an arctic blast. Spring feels a long ways off.

• krazyaroider
    16 years ago

Snow covers and insulates the gardens as we are "enjoying" another arctic blast here in Buffalo, NY. Although we are suffering another brief, intense arctic blast, our winter has been warmer due to La Nina.
    I know my snowbells and other bulbs are starting to pop up. I have various Arums that are presently covered with snow. Dracunculus vulgaris are also poking up, but these are mulched well - hopefully these arctic blasts did not get them like last year.
    I am trialing hardy southern magnolias and they appear to be holding their own - they have protection from sun and wind.
    In late January, I looked in my fruitcellar and noticed the pot that I put some buckeye nuts from my Red Buckeye (Aesculus pavia) started growing so I moved them by a SW window getting sun. I can look at these and know that warmer weather is in the future!

ready for spring....
    ~ Gerry

• edspegel
    16 years ago

only thing up in my garden is the height of the snow.

• gardeninprogress
    16 years ago

The pic above SAYS IT ALL!!!!!!!! I've got 5 lbs. of wildflower seed sitting in my basement waiting for this weather to break. . . . but it snows, and snows, and snows.

Anyone have any ideas as to when I should sow ANNUAL Wildflower seed in the northern part of the lower pennisula of Michigan?

I've heard various things. . . . like wait until Memorial Day. . . or sow them in mid April as they need the water. . . .

Let me know your thoughts.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    16 years ago

Yup, I agree, the height of the snow is all that's up here. We have about 2 feet, more on the ground now than any time all winter, and quite a bit for us anytime. More is in the forecast. But my seed sowing inside is going great. I'll have some nice transplants once the snow is gone.

• buckeye78
    16 years ago

Hi Gardeninprogress. Sowing annual seed in northern lower Mi is tricky. Some years we get late snow or lots of rain and the seeds rot. I have had good luck with the last week of May. The best guideline is probably soil temperature though. If the soil is too cold to put your hands in then it is too cold for the seeds to germinate. I have thought about using black plastic to warm the soil but that seems like too much work. How far north are you? I'm in the Tawas area, a few blocks from Lake Huron.
    Pam

• gardeninprogress
    16 years ago

Hi Buckeye!

We are neighbors! I'm in northern Gladwin.

CAN'T WAIT until spring :)

• madpotter
    16 years ago

today the snow is beginning to melt and all I see is the true harbinger of spring......... dog poop

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok i get the message its a bit really for spring. after our 5 inches of snow this morning i'm in the same boat as everyone else. but i had noticed that the chickweed was doing well by my mailbox. i'm so gglad we didn't have folks from zone 7 telling us how they loved it with the first crocus of the year come out-- although in years past have had them by now too.

diggerb

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i love that true harbinger of spring comment. Ok so i was going out to my ice covered car and there they were right in the middle of the yard-- three pale purple crocus tips.
    spring is beginning!!! especially after 50 degrees yesterday

diggerb

• krazyaroider
    16 years ago

Whats up in my garden? - about a foot and half of snow and it is still falling...
    Thought spring was just around the corner?
    I will not complain ever of heat, humidity or rain, at least you can drive in heat, humidity and rain, well you do not have to worry about running out of places to put it!
    I get by knowing that in two months it will be May and it will be warm and green.

• callalilykris
    16 years ago

It was a very mild 50-degree day here yesterday, the snow is melting, and I sighted crocus and tulip tips breaking through the ground. What a fantastic sight after this long, cold, snowy winter!

• edspegel
    16 years ago

look what was under the snow.

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

see i said spring was coming. when the snow melted today, my daff tips were about 3" tall!!!

diggerb

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    16 years ago

Today I saw one lone yellow crocus out, the first of the year. Several other yellow and purple buds nearby will open if we get another warm day. The weather the last couple of days makes me feel that spring is near.

• Bogart
    16 years ago

There's still a foot or more of snow here on the north side of Lake Ontario. Last year I had Snowdrops in January -- this year I'll be lucky to see them by mid-April!

• edspegel
    16 years ago

I've had snowdrops bloom in feb. in years past. They seemed silly in the middle of all that snow when the temp might be 0 deg fahrenheit. don't know how they do it but sure glad they do.

• gavindavis
    16 years ago

Now that I can see some ground in parts of the yard, I have spotted Daff's, Tulips, Crocus's coming up. All in sheltered areas of the yard. North end of Brampton.

• Bogart
    16 years ago

I can't see the ground in my backyard yet but I can see my garden bench again! Just west of the east end Beach in Toronto.

• edspegel
    16 years ago

hay bogart maybe you can get a couple leaf players to join you on that bench. in a couple weeks they won't anything else to do.

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i've had a sprinkling of purple, yello and white crocus in the yard and the buds on the daffs are starting to come up.
    i hope we are done with snow. seems we wait all winter and it just shows up in March. next week is supposed to be warmer and drier here so maybe i'll get some of the front and side yard beds cleanned up and remulched.

diggerb