Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmpman1974

Seed Starting Question - Z6B

cmpman1974
18 years ago

I live in Michigan and am interested when others are sowing their leaf lettuce, cole crops, and other cold weather veggies. My last frost date is 5/10 or 5/15. I read on another forum many are already planting broccoli / cauliflower. I thought these veggies should be transplanted 2 weeks before last frost. Lettuce 3-4 weeks before last frost.

I think all of these seeds should be sowed 6-8 weeks before last frost. Am I way off here? Please advise.

Chris

Comment (1)

• rhythm
    18 years ago

Chris,
    I live in the inner ring of subs of Detroit. I have low laying clay loam that doesn't dry out well, so I feel good if everything gets planted by Memorial Day. So, as you can imagine, I don't worry much about LFD (my LFD=May 12).

While rummaging through a used book store this winter, I found a book that may be of intrest to you. The Organic Gardener's Home Reference by Tanya Denckla, published by Storey Communications. It discusses the information you seek in detail. Plus a lot of other subjects. I would try my local library to check it out. If you live in SE MI and your library is a member of The Library Network, there are seven member libraries that have the book.

And no, your thinking appears to be right on track.
    HTH
    RM