Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmpman1974

Seed Starting Question - Z6B

cmpman1974
18 years ago

I live in Michigan and am interested when others are sowing their leaf lettuce, cole crops, and other cold weather veggies. My last frost date is 5/10 or 5/15. I read on another forum many are already planting broccoli / cauliflower. I thought these veggies should be transplanted 2 weeks before last frost. Lettuce 3-4 weeks before last frost.

I think all of these seeds should be sowed 6-8 weeks before last frost. Am I way off here? Please advise.

Chris

Comment (1)

• rhythm
    18 years ago

Chris,
    I live in the inner ring of subs of Detroit. I have low laying clay loam that doesn't dry out well, so I feel good if everything gets planted by Memorial Day. So, as you can imagine, I don't worry much about LFD (my LFD=May 12).

While rummaging through a used book store this winter, I found a book that may be of intrest to you. The Organic Gardener's Home Reference by Tanya Denckla, published by Storey Communications. It discusses the information you seek in detail. Plus a lot of other subjects. I would try my local library to check it out. If you live in SE MI and your library is a member of The Library Network, there are seven member libraries that have the book.

And no, your thinking appears to be right on track.
    HTH
    RM

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz