Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ben773

Aralia spinosa and Tetradium danielli

ben773
11 years ago

I read conflicting report about the cold hardiness of Devil's Walking Stick and Bee Bee Tree in zone 5a. I like to hear about your personal experience (not info perpetuated in the web)growing these plants. I like to grow them as bee forage. Do they grow and FLOWER in zone 5a? I'm in northern Illinois. Any personal and/or local experience (northern Illinois, Wisconsin or Zone 5a resident)is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    11 years ago

IâÂÂve seen Aralia (either elata or spinosa? i cannot say for sure) growing in Canada (Brampton, Onrtario). I am not sure which USDA zone it is, I know it is Canadian zone 5b, which probably means USDA 4b?
    Aralia trees were growing on the public (municipal) flower/shrub bed and were suckering profusely, they formed a small grove with the largest plant being probably around 12 ft tall and my guess, at least 5 years old.
    IâÂÂve seen even larger specimen of aralia (again, not sure spinosa/elata?) in Richmond Hill, Ontario (Canadian zone 5b). It was a multi-stemmed tree growing on a private front-yard. It was covered in large panicles of whitish flowers and looked stunning.

• ben773
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info green_go. If it grows and flowers in Canada, there is hope for it in northern Illinois. I have ordered seeds of both elata and spinosa, just in case. I appreciate your input very much.

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    11 years ago

You are welcome, ben773.
    Have you considered growing Heptacodium miconioides (Seven-son flower) as beeâÂÂs late-summer snacking tree?
    I have 2 young trees in my garden (I am in Canadian zone 5a which is probably, USDA 4a). They survived last winter with no damage at all (the winter was mild though, but with occasional frosts to -20C ( -4F)) , I am waiting to see how they will do after this winter, which was bloody cold.
    They start to bloom in late summer and continue blooming way into September. And they are bee magnets.
    And last great thing about them which I discovered last summer: they can be propagated easily by semi-hardwood side shoots!
    Here are a few pics of my Heptacodiums taken in September 15, 2012:
    First tree:

Second tree:

Blooms close-up: