Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heavy snow my cedars are scraping ground

Posted by pkguy 5/6 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 08 at 14:14

With all that heavy wet snow the last few days I just this morning noticed that nearly all of my 100 cedars lining the backyard fences on 3 sides are literally bent over so much they're almost flattened to the ground. I believe they're black cedars and each one is between 7-9 ft tall.

Are they doomed or will they spring back up once the heavy snow has melted. A couple in the front are bent over at the halfway point and I shook the snow off but they didn't spring back

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heavy snow my cedars are scraping ground

generally they will recover when the snows melt. right now they wood is stiff with frozen sap so it's not flexing like it does in warm weather. it's fine to carefully remove the snow now, but don't force them upright since the wood is stiff and you may damage or break the branches. when spring arrives you may have to retrain some of the cedars by using ties and posts for support. next fall you might want to consider wrapping them to protect them from snow damage. good luck!

o
RE: Heavy snow my cedars are scraping ground

Thanks for the reply...I just noticed our neighbors across the road, about 35 ft tall and it's tip is now touching the ground... whew.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here