Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mutts_fan

Rochester visit

mutts_fan
19 years ago

Greetings from Markham Ontario!

We are hoping to take a driving holiday to Rochester in the summer to stay in a lovely B & B, maybe visit some wineries in the Finger Lakes area. Can anyone suggest gardens and nurseries (esp roses or daylilies) or any other points of interest to visit as well? Thanks.

Mary Anne

Comments (5)

• teengardener86
    19 years ago

A nursery you simply MUST visit - in my opinion and most others will agree - is Bordine Nursery. Bordine Nursery (AKA The Plant Place) is located in Rochester Hills. Rochester and Rochester Hills are basically right together. Bordine Nursery is a big place; lots and lots and lots of annuals, perennials, houseplants/tropicals, shrubs, trees, water plants, landscape/gardening supplies and so much more. They carry such a wide variety in each category, often the unusual, and everything is high quality. They are THE garden center of all garden centers! Visit their website before you come:

http://www.bordinenursery.com

Have fun when you come to Michigan!

-tg86

• mutts_fan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Dear tg86
    Thanks for the suggestion. I was naive to not clarify which Rochester - I meant Rochester New York. I didn't realise there was a Rochester MI!! I was confused when you said "Have fun when you come to Michigan" but when I went to the Bordine website.... it's in Michigan!!!LOL.

Thanks anyway, I appreciate your help and if I'm ever in Michigan, I will try to stop by Bordines.
    Regards
    Mary Anne

• teengardener86
    19 years ago

Sorry Mary. . . I should have caught on anyways when you mentioned the Finger Lakes Area (duh! lol). Anyways have fun!

-tg86

• lblack61
    19 years ago

Sonnenberg Gardens is in Canandaigua, somewhere off route 96 or thereabouts. I know they had some financial difficulty over the years, but it has always been on the list of places to have wedding pictures taken and such
    Here is their website:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonneberg Gardens

• Bob_Zn5
    19 years ago

I've been putting off posting because I've been away from metro Roch for 12 yrs now. But when I was there, the lilac festival at Highland Park & Sonnenberg were about it. I never did trip over any nurseries that were especially nice. Regardless, the Finger Lake Region is absolutely beautiful. New York State used to publish excellent tourist info, it trust it still does. Naples, NY is worth a visit in season for the vinyards & the grape pies (Doc & Katy Abraham from the original Victory Garden series are from near there). Letchworth State Park was always a hit when I entertained out of towners & the park in Watkins Glen is also worth a visit (but not on race weekend). Some of the Finger Lake scenery is postcard ready. I never did understand why tourism wasn't a bigger industry there. This X NYer hopes you enjoy your trip.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH