Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shirley_plastow

Anyone suffering from cabin fever?

Shirley Plastow
18 years ago

Pretty new to this site, but I just wanted to know how everyone is dealing with the end part of winter? This is always the hardest time of year for me. I literally ache for spring. Today is a blistery, snowy February day in southern Ontario. We've been so lucky so far this winter with little snow and warmer temperatures than usual. We're spoiled here and not prepared for a true wintery February. Any suggestions?

Comments (9)

• sharont
    18 years ago

1. If you have a cat or two, grow some grass seeds.
    2. Sow any seeds. Put on top of refrigerator. Then on the window. They may get lanky but you are growing something.
    3. If you can, find a bus trip to Canada Blooms & book passage!
    4. Get out your pots early & sterilize them.
    5. Plan a new garden bed with shrubs & perennials. Also plan what annuals you'd put in between while the perennials get established.
    6. Check out your bargain shops & box stores for possible garden needs.
    7. Find a nursery that is open all year round & enjoy the atmosphere.
    8. Play the memory game of what is actually in your garden. Write down all that you can remember & if you can use Latin names for each species.
    9 Check out a large second hand book store for a cheap book on gardening.
    sam

• Shirley Plastow
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks sharont for the suggestions..They were all great and I admit to doing most of them. I haven't ever made it to Canada Blooms yet, but that is a great idea . It's something I've aways wanted to do, but so far have just seen it on t.v. I also visited the butterfly gardens in Niagara Falls one year and i can highly recommend that! It feels so fantastic to come out of the cold and into the lush gardens that they have there. Thanks again for answering. I hope Spring comes soon for you too.

• wyndyacre
    18 years ago

The Stratford Garden Festival is even sooner than Canada Blooms and highly reccommended. I'm looking forward to attending lectures on design and alpines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stratford Garden Festival

• Justine_London
    18 years ago

Check out the online seed catalogues.
    Cruise some of the other garden sites here on gardenweb...there's many galleries with some marvelous photos.
    Why don't you wintersow some seeds ? I love it , I mean getting out the dirt and planting some seeds at your kitchen table, putting your newly planted bottle/jug/cup/plastic container outside to do its magic in the cold outdoors of winter....I love it!
    Great gardening!(even in winter)

Here is a link that might be useful: winter sowing

• jimihendrix
    18 years ago

My Sweet Potato Slips are already ahead of schedule. Have already ordered my Carrot Seed`s(Red and Yellow)and Tomato Seeds Thessaloniki and Stupice. Will Start these in grow trays around the 15th of March. Its going to be a good season Cant wait

• paul_
    18 years ago

I grow orchids and play in my 30 gal terrarium. Then there are also orchids shows to attend to admire all the nifty blooms. [Don't know how common those are for you Canadian folk -- but here in my area there's usually one a month fall to spring, all in driving distance.]

: )

• sunkeeper
    18 years ago

Just garden indoors with a good grow light. I have lots of things growing to pass the end of the winter.
    Brugmansia

I even have some little tomatoes which will be so nice in May or so

You can have the best of both worlds in Ontario. Garden all winter long with lights and walk out the door and go skating or sledding, could you be any closer to paradise?

• Bethany_Z5
    18 years ago

I saw a Robin today and the daffs and crocus are coming up so there hope!

• tenor_peggy
    18 years ago

When I was up in WI I grew orchids so I had plants to play with indoors while it snowed outside. I helped me with cabin fever big time. Phaleonopis are good choices for indoor growing. They will bloom near a window and each individual flower seems to last forever.

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus