Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michiganjen

Hollies or other plants for hedges

MichiganJen
19 years ago

Hello!

I live in central Michigan (near Lansing).

I really like the look of holly, and am thinking of using one of the hardy Blue Hollies (Ilex x meserveae) for a hedge. How fussy are they about acidity? (Mid-Michigan is not considered acidic) How many years would it take to get a 6-8' tall hedge? And how far apart would they need to be planted?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Comments (4)

• MissBeth
    19 years ago

Not fussy at all about pH, in my experience. I have several planted as foundation plants. Also, I had soil tested elsewhere in my garden, and it is around 7.1

Can't help you on size... I suspect it depends on the cultivar - I keep mine trimmed to about 4 feet (they're under windows).

Beth - Z5 MI near Traverse City

• doniki
    19 years ago

Jennifer-
    Blue hollies make a really nice hedge and are not particular too particular about PH. I have 14 growing in a hedge across the foundation of the front of the house... They are spaced about 4-6feet apart and have made a nice hedge within the past 7 years. They were originally in 5 gallon containers and about 2-3 feet tall. I've let them grow together and kept them looking natural... Great hedge plant. Remember: the males go a long way, not as many needed as females... go for the berries.

• MichiganJen
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for your reponses! :) I think we're around 7 also, so it's good to know that pH won't be a limiting factor.

Doniki, how tall has your hedge grown in 7 years? Do you think a 6'-8' privacy hedge is possible, or will I be waiting forever? At 8' height, about how wide will the hedge be at its base? I also prefer a natural look without too much pruning...

• doniki
    19 years ago

The hedge that I have is between 3-4 feet high, only because I severely pruned them about 4 years ago to give them a more natural shape... When the landscaper put them in, they took on a "boxy" shape and didn't look too natural. I cut them back into bare wood.. and wow within a couple of months that summer they put on about 16-20 inches of growth. The males seem to be a bit more vigorous than the females for some reason. But the females are so pretty, especially in the winter when they are full of berries. If you buy good sized plants, and you give them a year or two to establish themselves, you can easily have an 8ft. hedge... I've seen a few around town, untrimmed, that are easily 8-10ft. Blue hollies are bushier than American holly, which are more upright growing, so they can at maturity be 8ft wide or better. Mine are spaced about 5 ft apart and are touching, but not in the sense that they are a "dense" hedge. I always fertilize with holly tone in April, which they seem to respond to very well.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner