Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
will1085

Magnolia Grandiflora in Indianapolis area

Will1085
12 years ago

Hello, This is William, and i am new to this gardening forum, and I just have some questions in regards to the possibility of cultivating Southern Magnolia(Magnolia Grandiflora,spelling?

I am aware that USDA has released their long awaited new and updated plant hardiness zone map for 2012:Note my supposed zone in zone and state, the former was released in 1990. My two questions are, can someone cultivate a Southern Magnolia specimen as far north as Indianapolis,Indiana, and if so, which Magnolia Grandiflora cultivars would be reliably cold hardy enough to tolerate Indianapolis winters? Thanks for any input I get and it is greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)

• Will1085
    Original Author
    12 years ago

By the way, if this tidbit of info helps any, as of 1990, Indianapolis was in plant zone 5b, now, as of the new 2012 map, it lists Indianapolis as a zone 6a hardiness zone wise.

• denninmi
    12 years ago

I've had them for nearly a decade here in SE Michigan. They do well enough to give me some blooms. I've had them die back to the roots several times because voles got in under the winter protection and stripped all of the bark, but they do come back and rather quickly.

Definitely worth trying where you are. The hardiest types I guess are Edith Bogue, Bracken's Brown Beauty, and Little Gem, which are the 3 I've tried. Don't see much difference between them, Edith is the least likely to brown out during the winter, but in all but the mildest winters, even with protection, I generally lose all of the foliage. But, they regrow very quickly, by late May you would never know they defoliated.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County