Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lary1047

Question on crocosomia and shamrock?????

lary1047
19 years ago

Happy Easter everyone!!!

Two Questions:

1. What success has anyone with crocosomia (lucifer). We bought some last fall and left them in the ground, now waiting to see if they will come up this Spring??

2. Has anyone planted shamrock plants in SE Michigan and how do they do. Specially in our Michigan winters?

Thanks

Comments (4)

• ninamarie
    19 years ago

Hi Larry
    Crocosmia is very reliable for us here near Mount Forest, Ont. (about 150 miles northwest of the city of Toronto.) We have excellent snow cover. Friends north of me have also had very good luck with it.
    It forms a beautifully spreading mound after a few years, and is beautiful in all stages of growth.
    We grow the cultivars 'Lucifer'. 'Emberglow' and 'George Davidson'. 'Emily Mckenzie' was planted last fall, so I'm not sure yet if she overwintered.
    Our soil is hard clay amended with compost.
    Grow it; you'll like it.
    Go to a quality nursery for your plant. Some mail order nurseries and most big box stores sell immature corms, which take a fair amount of time to mature to flowering size and spread.

• karen_w
    19 years ago

Crocosmia is reliable for me, too. I LOVE it in any color. It looks like butterflies perched on an arching stem.
    I'm in the Grand Rapids area. K.

• teengardener86
    19 years ago

I live in Brighton. No experience with crocosmia here, but I do grow a shamrock (Oxalis) which has pink flowers with the classic green shamrock leaves. I got it at Bordine's (it was sold as Strawberry Shamrock I believe) and it is hardy to at least zone 5. It grows in a spreading clump, and blooms profusely spring to fall. This is, however, not the shamrock you see sold in florists. If you want, email me and I'll look up the information I have on my shamrock for you.

-tg86

• Bob_Zn5
    19 years ago

My nephew has good luck with Lucifer in sandy soil just South of Grand Rapids. It has overwintered once for me in SE WI & I expect it to return this Spring. I have not noticed any tendancies for it to spread or multiply, but my transplants are just 1 1/2 season old.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting