Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rkeddy3

Goodbye lawn

rkeddy3
18 years ago

I'm replacing our poor lawn with raised beds for perennials and shrubs. If I'm putting down raised beds of 6" depth can I put the terrific new soil right over the grass? Will grass buried under 6" of heavy organic, compost rich soil be a problem? I realize the right thing to do would be to rototill or remove the sod but I have neither the strength nor money for that option, so it's landscape fabric or leave it in place. Any thoughts?

Comments (4)

• User
    18 years ago

I've seen some lovely gardens around my neighborhood that are just what you describe.

Rather than landscaping fabric I would recommend that you put down several layers of newspaper. I take a whole section of newspaper and open it up and overlap different sections so that things can't grow through it. Cardboard works fine, too. You might want to wet the newspaper so it will stay put while you are putting the soil on top of it.

I prefer newspaper to landscaping fabric because the newspaper will eventually break down, enriching your soil. I've fought too much removing old landscaping fabric to recommend using it.

Katia

• casper1
    18 years ago

Look up "Lasagna Gardening" a full explanation is given. Rai

• jroot
    18 years ago

Good advice about the newspaper. Put the soil right on top. I've done this several times. It works well.

• smithb39
    17 years ago

I also recommend the newspaper, I made a couple raised beds, one for raspberries the other for strawberries last year. Put the beds over the grass, laid a few layers of newspaper then about 6" of dirt, no problem with the grass.

Also use newspaper then straw on top for the paths in the garden, works great to keep the weeds down.

I keep the newspapers during the winter and have plenty.

Good luck,
    Brent