Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Goodbye lawn

Posted by rkeddy3 6b (arlington@mac.com) on
Fri, Mar 31, 06 at 11:14

I'm replacing our poor lawn with raised beds for perennials and shrubs. If I'm putting down raised beds of 6" depth can I put the terrific new soil right over the grass? Will grass buried under 6" of heavy organic, compost rich soil be a problem? I realize the right thing to do would be to rototill or remove the sod but I have neither the strength nor money for that option, so it's landscape fabric or leave it in place. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Goodbye lawn

I've seen some lovely gardens around my neighborhood that are just what you describe.

Rather than landscaping fabric I would recommend that you put down several layers of newspaper. I take a whole section of newspaper and open it up and overlap different sections so that things can't grow through it. Cardboard works fine, too. You might want to wet the newspaper so it will stay put while you are putting the soil on top of it.

I prefer newspaper to landscaping fabric because the newspaper will eventually break down, enriching your soil. I've fought too much removing old landscaping fabric to recommend using it.

Katia

o

Look up "Lasagna Gardening" a full explanation is given. Rai

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 31, 06 at 17:38

Good advice about the newspaper. Put the soil right on top. I've done this several times. It works well.

o

I also recommend the newspaper, I made a couple raised beds, one for raspberries the other for strawberries last year. Put the beds over the grass, laid a few layers of newspaper then about 6" of dirt, no problem with the grass.

Also use newspaper then straw on top for the paths in the garden, works great to keep the weeds down.

I keep the newspapers during the winter and have plenty.

Good luck,
Brent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here