Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lawn moss question

Posted by tewitt1949 mich (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 11:44

I searched here and many have problems with moss in their lawn. I read several ideas to get rid of it but I've tryed many and others say they can't get rid of it.

I was wondering if I planted clover (which isn't my ideal lawn cover) and if I could get it to grow, would it produce enough of a canapy over the moss where the moss would die because of lack of sun light?

Any ideas are appriciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lawn moss question

I'm not an expert, but it sounds like you might have a drainage problem, which can cause moss to grow. Also, in new subdivisions the topsoil is scraped off and there's not a lot of soil for grass and clover to grow in. That's the problem we've been dealing with.

If you have drainage problems, solve that first.

Clover is really nice in a lawn, and IMHO easier to grow. Just be aware that if you don't mow for a while and it flowers, you'll have pollinators in your lawn. Good or bad, depending on what you want, and if you have kids out barefoot. ;-)

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have a drainage problem but I live in a mature woods with a few trees cut for a clearing to make a lawn. The dirt in the yard is dirt from the woods which is decayed leaves, wood etc. Appears to be good rich soil and should grow anything. Actually It does grow moss good.

I just want to get rid of the moss.

o

"I just want to get rid of the moss."

Why? It doesn't need mown, is adapted to survive your conditions without fertilzers or any of the other extra care grass demands, nor will it smother out any of your other plantings as would grass or clover. Nor will it create a thick root mat that can be a bear to dig through as will grass.

I have never understood people's obsession with grass lawns. Grasses are demanding plants to take care of if one is trying to achieve that stereotypical manicured lawn look. In other respects, they are obnoxious weeds that will relentlessly try to colonize flower/plant/vegetable beds. Personally, I'd much rather see a carpet of moss.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here