Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lary1047

Vining suggestion needed!!

lary1047
16 years ago

Hi!!

I have a few questions about Lophospermum 'Great Cascade Wine Red' has anyone had good success with this plant.

Also we are looking for good climber vines with good color and have nice flowers throughout the summer. If it attracts hummers that would be great also. In the past years we have used thumbergia or Black eyed Susan vine and the Red cyprus vine on the same trellis. We were not really happy with the cyprus it seemed to only blossom at the end of the runs and not throughout. However the hummers did go to it. We want color so it does not have to be a Hummer flower we have other plants that bring them into feed.

We are looking for a change and looking for suggestion? What would be good annual climbers that could be used together? It gets about 6 to 7 hours of sun daily we live in zone 5. It will be growing in a concrete pot 18" across and 18" deep growing on a trellis 4'x4'.

Thanks for all the suggestion!!

Lary

Comments (4)

• moonsanity
    16 years ago

Have you tried morning glories? I've always had good success and there are varieties in pink, purple and cream colored. Last year I planted a mixture and they were very pretty and grew quickly.

• diggerb2
    16 years ago

you could start early with annual sweet peas and and try a clematis for blooms in the summer. there are vining nasturiums to try.
    diggerb

• goodhors
    16 years ago

I would second the Clematis, they have a variety of bloom times, so you have flowers all summer. Early, mid-summer, and fall bloomers will flower in many colors and shapes. It does take a couple years to get a Clematis growing well, so the first year might be disappointing. The exception in my experience, were a Pope John-Paul white, and a purple also with a Polish name. They took off and both grew and bloomed wonderfully the first year and every year since. Long lasting, numerous flowers. Clematis are perennial, would not survive in a pot over winter.

An annual vine that does well locally is the Hyacinth vine. It is an annual, looks like a bean to plant. I must warn you it grows extremely tall, over 12ft, needs support. Very flowerfull, pink blossoms over all the vine from what I have seen. I am near Lansing, have seen several plantings of this in full sun. Don't know if the Hummers like it,but it is very attractive in the garden.

I would avoid the Silver Lace vine, very aggressive grower. I have seen it grow 20ft in a year, totally cover a 6ft chain link fence. Then do the same next year after being pruned to the ground. Lots of work to keep control of this vine!!

Agastache is very beloved by Hummingbirds. Some of the new tender ones might be nice in your pots. Treat like an annual. The pink ones I had bloomed all summer long, got lots of Hummers in close to see. They don't get tall, 3ft or so, but a real bug and bird magnet all season. I do have the perennial blue and red Agastaches as well, just are a shorter bloom season.

• dalhousiecalgary
    16 years ago

Lary

I found your post by searching for lophospermum. A local greenhouse here (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) is carrying some very healthy foot high plants. I've also seen the seed advertised in a catalogue. It's strange that I've never seen this plant before, and no one seems to know anything about it. I've posted in a local forum, and haven't had a single response.

From my searches, it seems to need full sun to part shade, but I'm finding no information at all on preferred temperature, or moisture levels. I'm wondering how quickly it grows... It could look really nice with thunbergia, I think...

Mary

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!