Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billgravier

Spring

billgravier
16 years ago

As I sit here listening to the wind blowing, waiting for the snow, I am getting spring fever hoping this is the end of winter. Are any of you ready to get going? Last year I planted my peas on March 23. Maybe a little early for southern Michigan but they did well. The snow has started and now the wait until it ends. I envy the people in the southern states who have started thier gardens, although the envy only lasts until June when the southern states get so hot. This is my first post, but I have been visiting this website for information for the last 3 years. This year my wife and I are creating a patio bordered by flowers and fenced in to keep the small animals, including dog, from getting to the flowers. We are very anxious to begin and I sure we will be visiting this site a lot this spring.

Comments (2)

• moonsanity
    16 years ago

Yes, I sat here yesterday looking out at the brown landscape; just ITCHING to get out there...but we will still get more snow on top of what hasn't melted. I think there should be a universal law that the snow magically disappears March 1st:)

I have 10 acres, none of which was landscaped except for three peonies and some daylilies. We converted the horse pasture to lawn, but it failed as a garden area. I just keep working at the flower and herb beds each year as money and time allows.

Did you plant your peas in containers or in the ground?

• billgravier
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We have 70'x70' fenced in garden area and have planted all our vetables, strawberries, and rasberries in this enclosed area. We haven't container gardened but this year we plan to grow our tomatoes in containers. Our house faces south and it gets really hot out front. We are going to use containers to grow tomatoes in the heat. At present we have numerous flower beds. My wife takes care of the flowers and I the vegtables. I think flowers are useless unless edible, she has the opion that flowers are very important. This year we are moving the flowers from the beds into a 40'x40' patio. Some of the plants will be grown around the perimeter and some will be container grown. We also need to incorporate bird feeder, butterfly plants, bird bath, trellises, and patio furniture. She also differs from myself in the style of planting. I plant in uniform rows with proper spacing near water with easy care. She prefers the "cottage garden" approach, with plants compactedly planted and kind of wild appearance. Therefor she takes care of the flowers. With ten acres it seems you have many options for any type of planting you would like.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus